Tuesday, January 4, 2011

White Shanty Frames from the Junk Drawer

 Visit thecsiproject.com
This week the theme for the CSI Project is "White."

Here are my two contributions.

I am sure many of you read Shanty 2 Chic and have seen their wooden frames. This was my take on their idea. I gathered up a whole bunch of junk and got creating.

Rather than use clothespins or clips to hold the picture; I  added metal plates to make them magnetic. The metal plates came from the roofing section of HD and were about $0.60 each. I used Gorilla Glue to secure everything and sprayed it all with spray paint from my stash.
First up, the most traditionally "Shanty 2 Chic" style. I used a little round "bun foot" thing I had for the base and it worked great.  I love the flower magnet and the covered button magnet. Covered buttons are on my list of favorite sewing things. So much fun. This frame was for my sister-in-law, so I made it extra girly to hold a picture of my soon to be niece.

Next up, one for my mother-in-law. For this one I used an old drawer handle. It was rescued from one of the play kitchen drawers. A bit of sanding revealed the brass underneath in a lovely chippy way. The handle makes this really front heavy, so it will have to hang on the wall or stand in an easel. I used an old heart locket for the magnet.

As soon as it warms up enough to spray paint I plan on making one for myself. Can you believe that it is too cold in LA to spray paint?

What junk do you have in that junk drawer that could be put to better use?

8 comments:

Dacia said...

THanks for the blog visit and comment :) These are some cute frames!

Kelli W said...

Very cute! I love the handle on the second one!

Megan said...

I awarded you with A Most Sylish Blogger Award...please feel free to stop by and see the post!

Renee said...

Wow! Great idea...heading to Home Depot soon.

Mama Said Sew said...

Very cute! I've actually started a container of miscellaneous bits, inspired by you. I have a luggage lock, car keys, belt buckle, dice and part of a pencil sharpener. Someday I'll use them for something interesting. :)

Michael Wurm Jr said...

love, love, love the handle on the pink frame! genius!

Cassie said...

These are darling! LOVE the painted drawer handle!

Serendipity Chic Design said...

The embellishments you have added to your frames are so unique and chic...

Take care,
Lisa