Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Matrioshka Doll Tutorial


Materials:
Pattern 
Page 2
Bottom weight fabric for the body. I used twill, but corduroy or denim would also work well.
Assorted other fabrics for the face, hair, flower, and scarf. I tried to use a variety of textures that a baby would enjoy touching.
A pill bottle for the noise maker inside.
Assorted dodads to make noise. I used wooden beads and metal screws.
Gorilla tape to seal the bottle closed.
A plastic lid to make the bottom flat.
Thread & embroidery thread.
Needle, pins, etc...


1. Cut out all of the pieces. 
2. Use a pencil or washable marker to lightly draw the face. Embroider the face with a simple back stitch.
3. Sew each layer on. It may be helpful to use a light fusible web. I didn't have any, so I just sewed each layer as smoothly as I could. Use a satin or zigzag stitch if you are worried about fraying edges.

4. If you would like ribbon "taggies" pin them in place now.

5. With right sides facing sew around the top and sides. Leave the bottom open.
6. Pin bottom piece in place and carefully sew around it leaving an opening for turning. *Be sure to start machine stitching on the side and stitch across the front so that your neat machine stitching is in the front and the hand stitching is in the back.
 This is probably the most challenging step.
7. Turn the doll right side out and finger press the seams.


8. Stuff doll with polyfill. Fill an old pill bottle with noise making stuff and seal it well with Gorilla tape. Burrow a hole in the stuffing with your finger and insert the pill bottle. Add more stuffing.
 9. Cut a circle from a cheap plastic container to make the bottom stand. I made my circle just a little smaller than the pattern circle. Using plastic lids etc... makes this doll machine washable. Insert this into the hole. Stitch the hole closed. Viola! You are done!

 These ladies are made using the pattern at 100%. How cute would it be to print the pattern in three sizes and make a graduated row of these!

This is only my second time drafting a pattern, so I welcome questions or comments!











Today I am linking up to Tutorial Tuesday and I am going to throw my hat into the ring for the Crafting with the Stars competition.

9 comments:

Suzy Myers said...

Very cute! I love these! For a first time pattern maker, you did a great job!

suzy

Jessica@SewHomegrown said...

Those are really cute!

Rebecca said...

I love this! Would you mind if I shared it on my Examiner page? I feel like I have a few baby gifts to make (including one for Sarah, did you make one for her?) though my sister is having a boy. But I'll make it for her anyway. :)

Jennifer said...

These are really adorable, but the pattern doesn't include the body pieces. Did I miss something?

Jane said...

Jennifer, There should be another page with the body. I will look into why you can't see that on the google docs.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Jane!

Jane said...

It's fixed! Thanks for alerting me to that problem!

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much! I can't wait to make some of these! :)

Small Fry and Co. said...

I love these. They remind me of my Ukranian heritage. Probably going to be making a set or 3.