Saturday, October 31, 2009

Build With Me: Cute & Thrifty Play Kitchen -In Just Six Weeks

Kitchen Lesson Logo

I have decided to try something new. I have yet another cabinet ready to transform into a play kitchen. This time I thought I would give in-depth instructions (with lots of flexible options) on how I build my play kitchens. Then I thought, wouldn't it be fun to have a "Build Along." If you follow along, you could have your very own play kitchen to gift for Christmas. And, since this year things are tight for so many of us, I have come up with several even thriftier supplies and materials. I will list all my tools and supplies and detail carefully the costs. I even thought I would host a special give away at the end.

Can you build it? Yes you can!

Maybe your thinking, "I have never built anything in my life!"
Seventh grade shop class was the last time I  built anything before the pink play kitchen. I made a rack for VCR tapes. Now, that fact should show you just how long ago that was.

Maybe you're concerned about tools?
Tools do help, when I made the pink play kitchen I had a hand saw and a power drill/ screwdriver thing and that's about it. I have come up with some suggestions that can help you build a nearly tool free play kitchen!

Lesson 1 starts on Wednesday November 4. I hope you'll join me!

PS: Maybe you're like me and you haven't got a wee one to build a play kitchen for, yet you still want to make one just for fun. I hope you'll consider making one for your favorite charity. I have earned at least $100 for each of mine and that money has helped buy lunch for many homeless people in Hollywood.

Lesson 1 Supplies
Play Kitchen Inspiration & A Way To Give Back

20 comments:

Lauren said...

Wahoo! I'm so glad. I've had an old nightstand for months, ready to make a kitchen. Maybe this will give me the direction I need to have it done by Christmas!

Anne said...

Yay! Love this idea! I've actually been searching Craigslist for weeks for the right candidate, but to no avail. I even placed a "wanted" ad, because I think this is an awesome way to raise money for charity. I hope I can find a suitable nightstand this week!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

I dont have an old night stand... but I wonder if I couldnt find a cheap one... my DD would love this.

Coleen said...

I'm game, I think!

littlemissmk said...

i'm in! my nightstand has been sitting in my garage for weeks calling to me. so this is great incentive. so thank you, kitchen sensei.... ;) did you ever sell your green one?

BAILEY said...

I am so happy you are doing this. I found a small dresser just this morning on Craigslist that I will be turning into this!

Thanks so much!

Mandy @ mintnclandycreate said...

I'm so excited! I don't have a nightstand to work with, and I'm not sure if not is the right time for a BIG project...but I'll give it a try! I am thrilled you're going to have tutorial. Thank you! ;)

http://snowdaze.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I'm really excited about this! I've been wanting make one and get it done before Christmas for my boys ever since I say your first one. I hope I can find a cute cabinet in time to play along!

Jennifer said...

Searching for a cabinet! Thanks, Jane! This will be a blast!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

I saw the title of your post and my immediate reaction was "YES!!!" I have wanted to copy and make one since I saw your first play kitchen too. Hope I can keep up. I am excited!

Andréann said...

you're kidding! I'm totally in for this one!

I will make a play kitchen, and it needs to be ready for xmas. I found the perfect TV furniture last week, and I'm piking it up tomorrow (hopefully it's still there...) I decided that a play kitchen would be my xmas gift for my little girl...
and you come up with this post... I'll totaly take the help!
I'm really looking forward to this!
thanks!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Oooohhh...I'm excited. I linked up to your site a while ago for inspiration. We're moving around the 1st of December, so I won't be doing a build along, but my daughter's birthday is in January, and a play kitchen is the plan for it. Thanks, Polly @ http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com/

Andréann said...

http://mamantattoo.blogspot.com/2009/11/about-play-kitchens.html

I'm talking about this post there! :)
can't wait to start!

Kelly said...

I need to find an old nightstand!!!

Anonymous said...

That's my dream kitchen for my son !! I'm going to steal my husband's tools and give it a go ! Thansk so much for sharing this project !
Catherine

Shelley Dawn said...

I just LOVE your DIY play kitchens! I even created a link on my blog - hope you don't mind! I already found an old nighstand to begin my creation!
http://shelleyinspired.blogspot.com/2010/02/diy-play-kitchens.html

rusted sun said...

I came across your blog while searching for DIY play kitchen. It is wonderful! Thank you so much. I'm so excited to build our own.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Today was my last day of subbing. Yeah! And on my way home I stopped by a garage sale and found a cute little nightstand for this. I loved your kitchens from the first time I saw them, and I wanted to do your build along, but it was right in the middle of moving. I've already got the faucet and sink.

Thanks! Polly @ Helping Little Hands

Vania said...

Hi! I recently started a blog called Christmas Rapping (http://christmasrapping.blogspot.com) and one of my friends linked me to this amazing kitchen project of yours! I would love to put a link to it on my blog. Would that be okay? I'm still kind of new to blogging myself so I don't know what the protocol is. If you'd like, you can e-mail me at christmasrapping@gmail.com. Thanks in advance!

http://mylittlehappies.blogspot.com said...

Thank you SO much for checking out my play kitchens on my blog!! You MADE my Mother's Day with your kind comments!!! I really appreciate it. I'm planning to make one for my friend's twin girls for their birthday in July as a surprise. She bid on my kitchen at my son's school charity auction and was outbid. :( I don't know how you felt but giving that one away since it was my first made me cry. I felt like I'd put so many hours and so much heart into that thing that it was hard to let go of it! :) Have a great week and please stop by again! Brooke
mylittlehappies.blogspot.com