Thursday, April 17, 2008

Taking Care of Business

Beaudry Building

When I returned home from Santa Fe I found a letter requiring that I pay a visit to the "mothership."

LAUSD

My TB test was expiring and they let me know that if I didn't have the paper work in by the end of May, I would be "terminated!" That's one way to handle a budget crisis.

As I said before, my salary supports my art! (It's really crafts.) So, I dutifully went to the fourteenth floor of bureaucracy and took care of it.

Maple Street LA

As long I as I was down there anyway...

Fabric District LA

Couldn't hurt to make a few stops...

Ribbon Store LA

This trim store had floor to ceiling beads, trims and ribbons.

Ribbon Store LA

It wasn't well organized or charming. In fact, I had to pull a long string in this room to turn on the lights! The ribbon was only 50 cents a yard and they had all sorts, but this wasn't my main destination. I just bought a few charms and went on my way.

Paris Textiles LA, CA

Everywhere I go that Paris Swap is on my mind!

Michael Levines

Here we are, the stuff of legends!

A Part of the Amy Butler Section

Ooooh!

Ooooh Ahhh!

Ah! I am crazy for this whole shelf!

Michael Levines

I found two things on the sale rack. One pattern I had eyed a few months ago. Love when that happens. Still, much of the time this gigantic fabric Meca is overwhelming. I drool and drool, but can not make up my mind.

Michael Levines Loft
Across the street...

Loft at Michael Levin's LA


The loft is Michael Levine's last chance clearance. It's a bargain hunter's fabric paradise- so long as you don't have anything specific in mind. I love digging around the boxes and seeing what I might find. Once I got a piece of suede. I have gotten a lot of denim and bottom weight fabrics for my bags here. This time I got really lucky and arrived shortly after a big dumping of cottons!


4lbs of Fabric from the loft
This is most of the four pounds of fabric I bought.

My TB test is good for five years. My fabric stash will probably last that long too.

6 comments:

jodi said...

I am drooling from Virginia!! What fabulous things you have out there. I love the shelf with the stripes and flowers.

Sarah and Jack said...

Ohhhhhhhhh, jealous.

Jodi Ohl said...

WOWZA!! Now, mind you I don't really sew, but I would have loved to buy a bunch of stuff anyway!! Love all the different assortment, almost like treasure hunting!

Mama Said Sew said...

$2.00 a pound?!?! Looks like I'll be making a detour through L.A. on my next trip down south! Where exactly is The Loft?

Can't wait to see what you make with all those lovely fabrics. :)

Leah said...

oo, so much yummy fabric!!

Katney said...

Oh, Jane, I want to go shopping with you.