Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Heaven Help Me... I Need A Plan

cv_logo

cv_weprepare

prepared
You know that saying about making plans and God laughing?

On my first trip to California more than ten years ago, there was a mudslide in the town where I was staying. One house fell down the hill and was destroyed. I declared then and there that I would "NEVER" live in a state like California! I was so freaked out that a little rain could cause one house to slide down the hill while the neighbors were fine. It seemed so targeted. What had those people done to deserve that?

No, I preferred the predictable storms of NJ . A snow storm (snow days!) was my idea of "disaster."

Of course, 911 changed my perception of safety anywhere forever. And, reconnected me with Cliff after fifteen years.

Here I am married to Cliff and living in this unpredictable state!

And, if that isn't enough irony for you, I have been invited to participate with other So. Cal bloggers in a volunteer program to increase disaster awareness and preparation among California residents.

Do you hear God laughing? I do!

Actually, I have come to love LA and California -risks and all.

I am so thankful for the opportunity to work with this project over the next few weeks because it will force me to take this topic seriously. It's not that I don't take disaster preparedness seriously, but I am overwhelmed by the scale and scope of disasters in this state, and how to manage a disaster kit in a city apartment.

One statistic I have already learned from reading some of the materials, is that since 1989 there have been 27 major declared disasters in California! Yet, nearly half of us are unprepared.

I am one of those who just doesn't exactly know where to start.

Join me each week as I tackle one step at a time disaster preparedness at home and at school.

1 comment:

Jodi Ohl said...

All of that is ironic, almost like God was calling you to face your fears and make a difference along the way as you do that.

I'm not sure what I can do to help, but if you need anything or support--you know to give me a holler!