Wednesday, October 21, 2009

To Quote Homer Simpson: Doh!



 I was all set to make a little skeleton softie with one of my student's drawings. I had read an interesting tutorial using CitraSolv cleaner and wanted to give it a try. Went to two Whole Foods to find it and set up my work space.


Look at these professional tutorial worthy pictures.


Just spray on the CitraSolv and rub the paper with the back of a spoon.
 
Peel back the paper and look at the transfer! Doh!

So, I researched other CitraSolv like products and read that Goo Gone was very similar! I have some of that! I start over with a new photocopy and new bit of fabric. Tape the whole thing and rub on the Goo Gone.


Nothing!!

 Feeling like a mad scientist I tried WD40 too. What the heck!
Nothing!


 
Not so jolly now!

OK, so further research shows I should have bought the CitraSolv concentrate not the ready to use spray. I did not see that at either of the two Whole Foods I went to. So, I think I am going to abandon the environmental cleaner as transfer medium and go to Michaels and buy Omni Gel. 

 Hopefully more on this to come.


10 comments:

Kurtzhals said...

I love the idea of using different products like that. I never would have even thought of that. Can't wait to see round 2!

Anonymous said...

I would suggest going to Citra Solv, LLC's web site to find either a online retailer or other local retailer near you to purchase Citra Solv Concentrate. www.citrasolv.com

Sarah said...

You could just use my printer trick and copy it on the fabric. It would be a LOT easier.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

That stinks. :( I hope Citra Solv works better for you as a cleaner than as a transfer medium. I can't wait to see Round 2.

HollyLynne said...

This reminds me of the time I repeatedly tried to use bleach pen and soft scrub with bleach on (polyester) fabric :) Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure something out, and the skeleton will look great when you do!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Just found your blog (from your comment on mine!) It is adorable, looking forward to seeing more. Janell

Melissa Zeitler said...

Hi Jane! We are the makers of Citra Solv. Sorry you had such a tough time of finding our product. (Maybe all the other people who read the instructables got to Whole Foods first and grabbed them all - jk) Anyway, if you email us your mailing address - mzeitler@citra-solv.com - we will be happy to send you a bottle of the concentrate to help reward you for trying so hard to test out the process. Hope to hear from you - and that the 3rd time is a charm.

Free Art Printables said...

I know sometimes to transfer you have to use an ink with toner in it like a regular copier or a laser printer... ink jet doesn't work.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Good luck, cant wait to see it!

Kurtzhals said...

P.S. there is an award for you over on my blog. Here is the link!:
http://ilikethewayyoudo.blogspot.com/2009/10/award.html