Thursday, October 8, 2009

Made It Without My Hubby


Today is a Made it Without My Hubby linky party at Shanty 2 Chic. As much as I would love to win that pink hammer, I've got nothing new to share. The Crayons, church activities and Back To School Night have plumb tuckered me out. (I did just renovate a whole kitchen last weekend. LOL) But, I couldn't not play along.

My hubby isn't into DIY at all. In fact, Home Depot drives him nuts. So all my projects were made with out his labor.His support for my messing up the apartment in the process is wonderful though!

Today I wanted to throw my two cents in the ring and encourage anyone reading this to tackle the projects they have been wanting to do. I live in an apartment-no garage or driveway. All my projects are done at the kitchen table or on the balcony and yet I have managed to make some pretty large things.

If your interested in making some of the projects I have made "without my hubby" there are tutorial type photo collections on my flicker.
Pot Holder ViewPretty in Pink


The play kitchens collection is here.
Front View

The futon upcycled into a shoe bench photo set is here.



Drawer to Shelf in Use
The drawer turned shelf photo set is here. 

I am always willing to answer questions. Just leave your questions on my flickr comments under the picture. That way I can look at the picture and answer the question easily.

Also today I thought I would share my "new" tool box with you all.

 And really, you know nothing I have is truly new.
This black chest used to hold my salt and pepper shakers.
The Bench with a Secret

Sure this is prettier, but...


Using it as my tool box is so much more functional. It holds my regular tool box and all my new power tools.

I am feeling much more comfortable with the power saws and I am glad I got them.

My philosphy about aquiring new tools (including my sewing machine) is to buy the very basic model with a little guidance from the tool guy at whatever store I am at. If I use it a lot, I can later justify an upgrade. If I don't use it that much, I haven't invested too much either. With my sewing machine, which gets a lot of use, the drill/driver and the saws, the basic models have all been just fine.

My specific drill screwdriver combo is no longer made, but I was thrilled to find out that I could find replacement bits.

I have found that my dollar stores are a great place to buy small tools like clamps andparts like hinges, corner braces and handles.

I hope you are inspired!

Don't forget to head on over to Shanty 2 Chic for tons more inspiration.


Shanty 2 Chic

7 comments:

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Hi Jane! I LOVE your little play kitchen's! Those are so adorable and I can't believe they started out as night stands!!!! Great job! I also love your tool box...perfect! Thanks so much for linking up with us!~Ashley

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this - so very inspiring!
I do all my own projects too, and occasionally, my husband helps out, but I'm the handy one, so I most of it on my own.
Stephanie

Room to Inspire said...

Wow, totally love your play kitchens. They are amazing!

Chelsea

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Amazing work girl! Can't wait to come back and browse the archives :o)
peace, cindy

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Awesome projects :) Your kitchens are SO cute!

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com said...

Awesome projects and even more amazing inspiration by your can-do attitude!

Miss G said...

I just recently found your blog and am enjoying learning about your play kitchen projects, etc. so much. I really like the "feel" of your blog, the way you write and your outlook on life. Kelly