Friday, March 28, 2008

Just A Few Things

I drive past a Good Will store each day on my way home. I try to stop once a week or so. I am looking for an old cupcake pan. My plan is to make a variation of these felted sweater cupcakes for Bella and the Pink Kitchen. Oh yes, I plan to have a playdate real soon and of course, I don't want to show up empty handed. I have the thrifted sweaters to make chocolate cupcakes and I plan on making calico tops that velcro on so that Bella can "frost"them herself.

I haven't found one of those cupcake pans yet, but I have discovered that after school thrifting has it's advantages. It seems that sometime between 3:00 and 4:00 is when they bring out the new stuff.
Thrift Goodies

I found this Dooney & Burke bag for my mom. It's in excellent condition and was only $6! She likes a medium sized purse and that isn't always easy to find. This should be just right. I think a quick trip to the shoemaker and this could be polished up like brand new.

It's funny how they price things at Good Will. The leather purse was $6 but the craft and spa books were $3 and $4 each. That's more than I would have liked to pay, but I do like the books and they are in good condition. Also, since the purse was so cheap, I guess it all evens out in the end. Good Will prices are very high for thrift stores. However, this particular store is in the neighborhood where I teach and I know that the jobs provided are important to the community. Unlike some of the other thrift stores in LA, this one is not manned by volunteers. So, I don't mind throwing a little coin back into the neighborhood.
I Spy Quilt Fabrics

I spy a fireman's hat, a four leaf clover, water melon and my big toes! These are the fabrics I have been slowly collecting for an "I Spy Quilt." Making a quilt for the Linus Project was on my "Champaign List" for this year and I am looking forward to the challenge.

Starting April 2, I will once again be "off track." My students are going on the second half of their "summer" vacation. I am really excited to have more time at home. Here is my list of projects:

Catch up with the Purse Project
Finny & Donks Sew Along Table Runer
Sweet Goodness Swaps Spring Time In Paris Swap
Get a good start on I Spy Quilt
Work on Mother's Day projects?

3 comments:

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

I love your fabric collection! And what a nice pedicure :-)

Marissa said...

I love making these cupcakes for this very thought, a REASON to canvas thrift stores at least once a week.

I've had so much fun making mine, and I know you'll have a blast, too. Love your blog.

Amy Jo said...

Get out! I'm working on an I spy quilt right now! How did yours turn out? Any pictures of the final product? I'm going to make 3of them, all travel size for in the car. I have 14 different prints, (2 of each for playing memory matching game too) but I'm really heavy on the cow, fish, dog type of prints. I need to get to Ms. Joann's for some more girly/ sports fabric. I'm doing a 5 inch square, and it's sorta driving me crazy to have so many different crazy patterns next to each other. I keep telling myself that it's a learning tool for my baby and her cousins. Let me know how yours turns out!