Sunday, June 15, 2008

Imperfect, But Beautiful Weekend

The Nester is having an "It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful" Carnival today. As luck would have it I had the most imperfectly beautiful weekend ever! You can click on the pictures to enlarge the reality of my kitchen situation.

Saturday my dear friend for the ages had her birthday party down in Orange County. For my desert contribution, I made something that I have been wanting to make forever... Bakerella's Cake Pops!

My imperfect version had several changes because I ran out of time to bake the cake that starts the recipe. So, I made Bakerella's Mint Oreo Truffles into pops!

Only I used store brand mint cookies because they didn't carry the real deal and I didn't have time to drive anywhere else.

I cut the cream cheese by half to make up for the smaller package of cookies.

Also, I couldn't get the chocolate bark that she calls for. So, I used half a bag of dark chocolate kisses. Next time, I would use regular Hershey's Kisses.




While the kisses were melting and the dough was chilling, I decided to shower. I threw on an old t-shirt and got back to work.





I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story...









Chilling Pops















Pretty eh? I think the mess was worth it.
Transporting Pops

This is a ceramic colander turned upside down in a soup pot. I devised this clever scheme to get the pops through the two hour drive in the blazing sun to the OC. Even with the AC blasting two of the pops melted and fell apart before the party. It didn't matter.

The party was wonderful. There really is nothing more beautiful than friendships! I'll write more about Lisa's amazing party theme and all the favors!

Also, see that ugly fridge up there? I guess it doesn't look too bad in the photo. This is one case where bad lighting hides a multitude of sins. Also removing the faux wood handle helped a lot too. Anyway, my plans to wallpaper the fridge came together very nicely. Pictures and details tomorrow!

More beautiful imperfection here...

28 comments:

Finding Normal said...

Oh yum! Now I need to read the rest of your blog because I'm teaching 4th grade in the MidWest and I just cannot fathom LA!

The Nester said...

YOU kept such a great attitude!

you are so clever to think of the pot with the collander--GENIUS! I think I would have been fine with all of the tweaking that you made to get these yummies made but, if I would have arrived only to find 2 melted-- I probably would have been in tears, or at least MAD! You are a good woman! And friend!

I bet they were still delish--even the broken ones!

Marianne said...

When it comes to sweets, the look is one thing, the taste a whole other matter. I bet these were delicious! Although, me being Dutch, have no idea what they are or how they taste. Look good though!

Sarah Mae said...

Those are awesome! You should do a giveaway and make those the prize!

Blogger said...

Yummy!!!! :)

jodi said...

I love the photo of you holding your finished product (and the part of the project on your shirt)!!

Kimba said...

Mmmmmmmm...Now I'm hungry for some some chocolate. Thanks for sharing!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Your blog is really fun. And those pops look yummy! -Julia :-)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I just bookmarked those little cupcakes the other day--they're just so cute!

~ Sarah

Heathahlee said...

Too cute! Those look reeeeeally good! :)

Unknown said...

See, I didnt even notice the mess cause I was busy looking at those yummy things you made. Tnaks for sharing, Susie H

sara said...

Beautiful! Wish I could try one!

Darla said...

Bwahahaha, I love your T-shirt, you cook like me (it's only good if it's messy. ;)

angela | the painted house said...

Nothing like a kitchen in the throes of masterpiece making! Those look delicious!

Amy Jo said...

What? You wallpapered your refrigerator? hahaha. I can't wait to see that! Your desert pops look delish..

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

The mess was worth it! And, you know, it usually is! Gotta love your chocolate smeared t-shirt!

Melissa Lester said...

Yum! Those look divine!

Bonita said...

Perfectly yummy!

Mama Said Sew said...

The pops look great! I'm sure your friends oh'd and ah'd over them.

Bakerella said...

They look good to me!

Laurie Anne said...

Can't wait to see the fridge.
Those pops look like something to battle the "I'm bored-s" this summer :0)

Amy said...

The colander was genius!! I made a ton of these a couple weeks ago and without thinking put them in flower pots filled with sugar to hold them up. The short drive from my house to the church was a little crazy - sugar everywhere! I will have to remember the colander trick.

Kitty Scraps said...

Oh those look so yummy! Since being on the never ending diet I never make anything "good" lol but those look good enough to tempt me! lol

And wallpapering your fridge was brilliant! How clever!

Tiffany said...

Yummy! I don't think this qualifies as imperfect, though. lol

Sheila said...

Love your version of the pops!

Party of 5 said...

YUMMY looking

Kristen said...

Not sure how far you had to drive to get to OC but I used to live in Ventura Co., so I know the traffic situation!

Those pops look yummy and I'm sure your friend appreciated the effort!!

Renee said...

Those look so delicious!