Monday, June 16, 2008

From Lemon to Lime-Aide

Still trying to get a good pic of the color
One of the blogs I read everyday, Like Merchant Ships, is all about practicing "cheerful frugality."

Wrapping my fridge has been one of my most cheerful and frugal projects to date.

The old and mismatched fridge had been bothering me for a while. It's the kind of thing that made me unhappy with apartment living. When you rent, there is so little you can change.

Wrapping it was so easy. It added a splash of color and turned a negative into a creative opportunity. There is no way I would do this with a new fridge. I am happy to have had the chance to play around and do something really different.

We have no natural light in the kitchen so it was hard to capture the true color in a photo. The checks are bright and light apple green. They just so happen to match Cliff's store brand cereal box from Smart & Easy up there.

We both love the clean look of no handles, but I think the wallpaper will hold up better if we use handles. Currently they are wood and the freezer and door handles don't match. I suspect somewhere down the line one was swapped out with another old fridge. Someday I may spray paint the handles. Someday I might change out the paper too. Lots of options!

changed out the art too
Wallpaper roll from Big Lots -$3
Big can of rubber cement- $3.99
Feeling better about my cookie cutter apartment kitchen- priceless!

12 comments:

jodi said...

That is very cute.

Unknown said...

it turned out so cute! Definitely brightens up the space. Well done!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Now that's a very innovative solution to an ugly. I love that wallpaper & that lime green is really a favorite color of mine. Great way to update without spending a bundle.

Thanks for stopping by!

Rhoda

It's Just Me! said...

I love it! I wish I had the Crafty in me for home projects!
Stacy, NJ

Mama Said Sew said...

It looks great Jane! You did a great job. :)

Laurie Anne said...

Wow, what a happy looking fridge. I never would have thought of it, but it looks great. Job well done!! :0)

Jo said...

You used wallpaper on your fridge? Wow. And rubber cement glue! It looks amazing! I never would have thought anything could be done with an ugly fridge!
Thank you for commenting on my Imperfectly Beautiful post.

Amy said...

I love the checks - so cute! When I was a kid my mom used contact paper to cover an old fridge. It held up very well and was so easy to clean. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

I love it! So fun and cheerful looking!!

Amy Jo said...

wow...I'm really liking that! Good job!

casapinka said...

This is wonderful. I'm so glad to hear Big Lots has wallpaper - didn't know this. Thank you so much for linking back to this and posting the tutorial!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

What fun! I wanted to share with you that in the mid-80's my mom got a new white fridge. White was NOT in at the time, but it was the only fridge that fit the space. So, after a month or so she used contact paper to cover the whole darn thing. She was much happier. Years later I peeled it right off to reveal a pristine white fridge.