Thursday, June 5, 2008

Breaking News

This morning I woke up to the breaking news that there is a major fire in one of my favorite LA neighborhoods.

Maple Street LA

One huge garment district building is absolutely consumed and is pouring black smoke in all directions. It makes for compelling TV. I should be getting ready for work, but I can't look away.

Ribbon Store LA

Cheif Doug Berry is talking about how dangerous this fire is. He doesn't have to tell me. Every time I go down there I think about fire. Wall to wall, floor to ceiling the goods are piled high. The aisles are narrow and the paths between bolts of fabric or shelves of notions are crooked. The buildings are old and crowded together.

Fabric Distric Downtown LA

Thankfully this is not a residential neighborhood.

A Part of the Amy Butler Section

Thank you firefighters!

5 comments:

HollyLynne said...

Oh my gosh, I had no idea!!! I hope everyone is ok . . .so sad though, so many of those shops are small and family run.

The Woman Undone said...

But doesn't your heart break a little to think of all the fabric, and ribbons and buttons all gone???

Jane said...

Oh yes! It was so sad to watch the evening news and see the small business owners (many w/o insurance) who lost everything. I wonder what the smoke damage will be to the other stores as well.

BEELICIOUS said...

So very Sad!! Hope Everyone is OK.

I would be in Big trouble if I lived near those fabric shops!! I wonder if Atlanta has a district like that??

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I know your post is about fire but I am salivating over all that fun fabric at great prices!!!