Monday, November 30, 2009

Bragging About My Trash To Treasure: Altered Wine Bottle

I have been so inspired by these altered bottles on Restyled Home.  Then I discovered this altered bottle flickr set. And when I discovered (where have I been?) the Graphics Fairy, it was all over.
Altered Wine Bottle
You can click on the pictures to get a better look.

Over Thanksgiving weekend I had the time to get creative and try new things. This picture hardly does the bottle justice.

I wake up early. I usually leave for work around 6:30 am, so sleeping in is still early. Anyway, in the quiet of the dark morning, at an hour most Hollywood folks never see, I crept into the upper garage and went through the building's glass recycling bin looking for the perfect wine bottle. The feasting of the previous days left me with lots to choose from! Thankfully nobody caught me.

I soaked the labels for a while and scraped them off. A little dab of Citra-Solv and all that sticky stuff was gone. (Citra-Solv works much better than Goo Gone and smells so good!)

I quick visit to the Graphics Fairy for this and this and I was on my way. Unfortunately, I am out of color ink for my printer. Sometimes these kind of limits are helpful though. With all the amazing clip art at GF, color ink would have made it harder to choose an image! Frankly, I probably won't replace that ink cartridge any time soon. For the same price, I enjoyed some yummy sushi the other night and sushi will always trump ink in my book.
Altered Wine Bottle Back


This is the back.


Anyway, Modge Podge, Martha Stewart Cristal Fine White Glitter, ribbon and some Christmas picks from Joannes and I had my bottle! This would make such a nice hostess gift for wine loving friends. I am sure to make more of these! I have ideas to make a bottle for wishes, a bottle for Love Potion # 9 and maybe some birthday bottles. The possibilities are endless and the price is so right!

 
Check out all the creative things people do with her images here.
Check back on Tuesday for more Trash to Treasure at Reinvented.

9 comments:

Cécile Kotsch said...

I love the soft colours. I love the idea !!!

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Hi Jane,
This is gorgeous!!! I adore this angel graphic so, I'm so glad to see it get used in such a beautiful way. You did an awesome job! Thanks so much for playing along for "Brag Monday" and thanks for your sweet words about my blog!

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

Really pretty, love the silvery theme with the angel!

laterg8r said...

divine - love that no one caught you stealing the bottle LOL :D

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful, I love it!

HollyLynne said...

Gorgeous! I think it looks especially awesome in black print. Who needs overpriced ink?! :)

Tammara said...

Beautiful job on the wine bottle. Karen at the graphics fairy is so kind and generous for sharing all the wonderful images.

amber said...

that wine bottle is BEAUTIFUL...i think i'll be making these for some bdays!!!

Ruth said...

It is beautiful. I love the Graphics Fairy.

Ruth