Thursday, April 16, 2009
Upside Down Pineapple Cupcakes
Upside down pineapple cake is my father's favorite. It was his birthday tradition when I was a kid. Nowadays, my mom is a tax preparer and Dad's April birthday is a bit neglected. Even I was late this year. However, I am making up for it by sending a box of Upside Down Pineapple Cupcakes!
1 yellow cake mix
1 can crushed pine apple in juice
1 small jar of maraschino cherries
1. Preheat the oven following the directions on the cake mix box.
2. Put a small pat of butter in each cup and set it in the oven for a few minutes to melt the butter.
3. Add about 1/2 T of brown sugar to each cup.
3. Add a cherry to each cup.
4. Spoon in a bit of crushed pineapple around the cherry.
5. Drain the pineapple and save the juice.
6. Mix the cake mix as directed, however -substitute the pineapple juice for water in the mix. You may need to add a bit of water to get a full measure.
7. Spoon in batter into cups. You won't need much because the cups are pretty full of topping.
8. Bake about 15 minutes watching to see that the cupcake part is golden. Again, these are pretty moist so it may need more or less time depending on your oven.
8. Allow them to cool on a rack for a bit.
Unwrap and enjoy!