Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Softer Side of Green

Glass Jar with Reusable Makeup Remover Pads
Junie Moon is one of the blogs I read regularly. She is an excellent example of making "green living" beautiful and easy. Recently she posted about making reusable makeup remover pads. At first, I thought the idea was nice, but unlikely for me. We failed at cloth napkins so teeny tiny makeup remover pads weren't likely to succeed in my home.

Then I ran out of cotton balls this morning and that big piece of *super soft* velour that was part of my Michale Levine's Loft haul started to call to me.

Junie's pads are made of flannel and pretty fabric and they are all the same size. I believe she used this tutorial.

Mine are more like ravioli except that they aren't all square.
Reusable makeup remover pads

I simply folded a large scrap of the velour and started sewing squares (quadrilaterals anyway). When I was done, I cut them out with pinking shears.

This way they are two sided. Easy peasy.

I used one this morning and was quite pleased with the softness- but what to do with the dirty? I stood there at the vanity thinking, "what now?"

Quick trip to the stash and I whipped up a super simple drawstring bag to collect the used pads in. Now, I can toss the whole bag in the wash and dryer to keep them together.
Drawstring Bag

Maybe I need to make a cloth napkin collecting drawstring bag and give those a second chance.
By the way, my favorite eye makeup remover is a few drops of Johnson's Baby Shampoo diluted well with water. It works great for mascara. No more tears! One of my colleagues got this advice from her eye doctor. That bottle up there has lasted me several years.

4 comments:

Mallory's Mommy said...

for the cloth napkins, kitchen and dish towels i just bought a basket from the dollar tree to store under my sink and i toss them in there when were done with them so they are out of my sight!

Imelda@Inspired Simplicity said...

thanks for sharing your clever and "green" ideas.

thanks also for the sweet comment on my "procrastinator" tiling project

Ruth said...

Love these~What a great idea.
Ruth

PĂ©itseoga said...

oh i might just do this! i already use a similar approach when cleaning my baby after eating! instead of using disposable wipes, i cut up some old towels with pinking shears! i start with wiping my baby's face and hands, her tray, the table, lastly the floor (she's only 7 months and a messy eater!)! then i rinse it, and put it onto the edge of the plastic laundry basket in the utility room, to dry! then they go into the next wash. very handy for baby led weaning!