Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme


What brand and model do you have? Singer 132 Featherweight

How long have you had it? About 6 years

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? I bought it at Amazon. You can read the mixed reviews here. You can buy it new here for $149.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I started out with basic home decor projects-pillows and curtains. Now, I have done many crafts, softies, aprons, bags etc...

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I sew to relieve stress. This featherweight gets a weekly work out during the school year and a near daily workout when I am on vacation.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name? I bought this machine thinking that if I really used it and got good at sewing I would eventually upgrade. I really, really use it! I think I am ready for an upgrade, but right now financially, it's not a priority. I am fairly satisfied with sticking with this machine for a while.

What features does your machine have that work well for you? It's easy to use and easy to figure out when there is a problem.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine? Heavier fabrics or thicknesses can be a challenge.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine? Nope and given that my best stories are usually a comedies of errors, I am thankful for that!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? Yes, I would recommend this as a beginner machine. It does a lot for a low priced machine. It's lasted me well under heavy use. I do get it cleaned and serviced about every other year for about $80. But, considering that I sewed all my Christmas and nearly all my birthday gifts for the past two years out of cheap/ thrifted materials, this machine has earned it's keep. I am certain that this was the right starter machine for me.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? I look at price and reviews first.

Do you have a dream machine? I would love a machine that did monograms. I would like to work my way up to a serger eventually. I am really interested to read others memes.

2 comments:

Maridith said...

Hi Jane-

I really like this post about your sewing machine. I sew all of the time but yet I don't own a sewing machine. I borrow my mom's Bernina that is older then me!! I love your blog and your creativity. Just wanted you to know I am passing along an award your way. Come over to my blog to check it out!!

Ruth said...

I have a dream machine that my hubby bought for me last year. It's a Brother Embroidery machine.
Ruth