Saturday, March 6, 2010

Kind Words & Warm Feet Drive

 Last November, I wrote this post about my motivation to raise money for the homeless in my neighborhood. Comfort Socks, a charity dedicated to helping the get new socks distributed to homeless shelters contacted me about working with them. For months I have been thinking about doing some sort of sock drive for Comfort Socks.

I like puns, so forgive me for saying that I had really had cold feet when it came to writing this post.

I had planned on February...then the earthquake hit Haiti and I became distracted. I told myself, "March." Then the earthquake hit Chili and I doubted whether people would give to my sock drive.

Well, there will be no perfect time. And also, no time like the present. It's time for me to "toe the line."
 

I hope you will join my "Kind Words and Warm Feet Drive!"
 

What to do:
1.Write a small message of hope and tuck it into a new pair of ladies or mens white cotton socks.  Perhaps you have a favorite Bible verse or other quote that encourages you? Write it out on an index card or piece of stationary and tuck it into the socks. Imagine getting both a new pair of socks and a note of encouragement. It's a small way to let someone know that while they may be down, they are not forgotten.
-John C. Maxwell


2. Send the socks directly to:

Comfort Socks
C/O Out of the Crayon Box Sock Drive
PO Box 477
Supply, NC 28462
Let's save the middle man, shall we? 

3. You can also help by grabbing the button and posting about this on your blog!
When- By April 15
My goal is to get 100 pairs of socks donated. I plan to have some fun giveaways for participants.  I'd also love to read about what you chose for your inspirational note. Please blog about this! Let me know if you do, I would love to link up to your post.

Thanks for joining in this worthwhile project!


“One word or a pleasing smile is often enough to raise up a saddened and wounded soul.” 
 Therese of Lisieux quotes



Kind Words and Warm Feet Sock Drive




7 comments:

Mama Said Sew said...

A lovely way to help heel a sole!

So my pun isn't great, but count me in on this project. :)

Molly said...

HI....love your blog. I will be sending in some socks. Great idea!!!
I also blogged about it, so hopefully lots of socks from the south will be coming out to California. Can't wait to hear the grand total amount!

Katie said...

Wow, what a great idea!! Will be posting about this soon as well!

Jane said...

Christy your pun is great! I wish I had thought of that!

Molly- the socks will actually be distributed all over the USA. Comfort Socks is in dozens of states.

Thanks everyone!

Rebecca said...

I love this idea! Both my Mom and I will be participating. Expect our socks soon!

sara said...

What a great idea! I love it....

littlemissmk said...

wow. awesome- gonna try to throw this button up on my blog