Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Matryoshka Story

A few years ago my in-laws went to Russia. When they returned, they gifted me with a beautiful matryoshka doll. While visiting, my mother -in-law lamented that she had not bought one for herself.
Matryoshka in the Making
It just so happens that we live mere blocks from the Russian neighborhood here in LA. So we set out to find her a matryoshka there. We went in every store with Russian writing on the door along Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood. Inside each market she would say, "This is just like in Russia."
Matryoshkas in the Making
Finally, in a small woman's clothing store we found a beautiful set that had an incredibly detailed scenes from the story of Peter and the Wolf on each doll. It was really expensive, but it did have all the markings of a real matryoshka. It wasn't an easy decision, but she did buy it.
Circle of Friends
A few months later a good friend and one of their traveling companions called to set up dinner plans. "We really must get together! I still have your doll!"

Turns out my mother-in-law's suitcase had been too full and she had asked her friend to stow her matryoshka doll. She had forgotten all about it! Now she has two beautiful Russian nesting dolls!

3 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Jane! These are crazy cute.

Unknown said...

These are so cute. Nesting dolls are my favorite thing ever. My daughter has the most adorable nesting doll dress that my mom made for her.

Amy said...

Hi Jane, I received my matryoshka valentine in the mail today as part of the heart to heart swap. I am so thrilled with her, esp. because I have a little collection of them. I can't imagine all the time you put into each one! I will treasure her always, thank you!