Monday, March 3, 2008

Sew Fun

It's been a while since I can say, "I had an awesome weekend!"

I worked a full day on Saturday and when I came home I wanted to just relax a bit before going to a birthday party. I planned on making muffins to take as a small hostess gift, but we were out of eggs. Rather than drive two blocks to Ralphs, I decided it was easier to make the birthday girl a bag. That alone says a lot about how far I have come with a sewing machine!

House Coat Bag

I have made enough of these that I can whip them up without stressing. This one was a ratty, ratty house coat that I got cheap at Jet Rag. I really love how it came out.

As I was cutting the bag, I thought about how much nicer it was as a bag than a house coat. So I made up a little story about how the bag was made from a housecoat that dreamed of going to the beach.

Tag
I typed up the little story and used Wonder Under to stick it to some fabric. On the front I wrote "Recycled Vintage It's more fun the second time around."

Anyway, I was really pleased with the result and so was the birthday girl. She thought I had bought it on Melrose! High praise, I'd say!

I think I will write up little stories about all the old clothes I turn into stuff.

The party was a lot of fun. Cliff's friend, Aleve*, lives in the canyons of Beverly Hills. Cliff loves the hills and canyons. Normally, I really don't like the hills or the canyons. I hate the tight winding roads. They seem over crowded and all I can think of is mudslides and fire dangers. But this street was nice.

Aleve's house is a small Spanish style house from the twenties. She has filled it with cozy furniture and lots of art. Her house is very inviting and so perfectly her. I love when you finally see a friend's house and in every way it just matches them. For me, seeing a new house is half the fun of a party!

*Remember that commercial where the women are walking in a charity walk and the girl talks about sharing her Aleve so much that the other walkers start calling her Aleve. "Hey, Aleve!" The Aleve girl, 'cause I am all about name dropping.

Tomorrow more about my weekend and playing hooky!

4 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

That old house coat makes a VERY cute bag!

Jodi Ohl said...

Wow--absolutely love the bag, Jane!! Even cooler, you did a master makeover with it!!

Rebecca said...

Perfect bag! And I love the tag. You could go far with that mantra I think. :)

Your B&B get away sounds divine. Big hugs to you!

Leah said...

the bag is adorable!!