Thursday, March 6, 2008

Madmen and Glad Woman

Spoon & Fork

I love vintage stuff from my Grandmother's day. The cheery designs and innocent depiction of life occasionally make me wonder... was I born in the wrong age?

So, I am really excited about the show Madmen. It aired on AMC but we watch it on DVD. There are many characters in this show about 1960's ad men in New York city, but the main character is the era itself.

I could drool over the clothes and the sets. Charming! To be the set designer for the series! What a dream job!

But, the reality that this show portrays is less than cheery, bright, or innocent.

It was a real eye opener for me to see just how far women have come in the last 40 years. I have a whole new appreciation for my grandmothers.

In one scene, a young woman goes to the gynecologist to get a prescription for birth control pills. Along with the prescription the doctor gives her a truly insulting lecture about becoming a slut.

The sexual harassment the young secretaries endure is appalling by today's standards.

Absolutely everyone on the show smokes.

While watching the show, I can hardly turn away for a second for fear of missing some subtle detail about life back then. Truly, I am transfixed by this show.

Yet, I am really relieved to live now.

I am thankful to collect Pyrex refrigerator glass, but to have plastic as an option.

I love to wear an apron and slow cook a meal, but thankful to have the option to order out or to microwave a something quick.

I am thankful to have the option to have a woman doctor.

I am thankful that smoking is not the norm. With my allergies, I would be constantly ill.

I am also thankful for the long distance phone calls, the internet, for email and the community of blogging. Women in the 50's were so isolated in many ways. I am so thankful that it is easy and affordable keep in touch with family and friends spread out across the country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've picked some great things about now and then. I need to find and watch that show. Sounds interesting!